Let me say this first of all. I love christian music (in fact music in general) and if you catch me at some christian events, you would no doubt see me shake a foot or two. However one thing that bothers me, especially with the young people but not exclusive to them by any means, is that generally, they know a lot about the latest gospel tunes and what is happening on the music scene, but when it comes to doctrine, their knowledge is very shallow. If there was a toss up between a hunger for Gods word to understand it vs music, music wins hands down. Of course there are a few exceptions. Check out my fellow blogger Black Reforming Kid who turned 17 not too long ago (Happy Birthday again).
I believe that doctrine should shape everything we do and if you do not know doctrine through scripture, then you are on shaky ground if your doctrine mainly derives from your christian CD collection. If I hear anything off key, whether it be preaching, teaching, or a song, I do not rush to the latest Kirk Franklin or Fred Hammond CD to check the lyrics on the inside cover, I go to the bible because that is the final authority. So that tells me that we should make understanding the word of God a priority otherwise we will be swept away by every wind of doctrine.
If you had two believers. One listened to 90% gospel music and read/studied/applied the bible 10% of the time and the other read/studied/applied the bible 90% of the time and listened to gospel music 10% of the time, which one do you think will become the more mature Christian?
I am not saying that music is not ministry and that it is no important but I am talking about what our priorities should be. You have some people who are really into the music side of things, yet never really pick up the bible. If we take the new testament model and the early church, the priority seems to be the preaching/teaching of the word and not ministering through music even though it does have its place so dont get me wrong, but it is only through a correct understanding of doctrine that you can correctly minister through music and not vice versa.
If you look at gospel rapper, Flame’s website (www.flame314.com) he makes the point himself saying:
“So often I realize that A CD AND A CONCERT IS NOT ENOUGH TO DEPOSIT INTO MY AUDIENCE THE AMOUNT OF INFORMATION THAT IS NECESSARY TO MAKE A SOLID DISCIPLE.”
So to conclude, if you love Jesus then you’ll love doctrine.