OK, so summer has finally arrived in the UK (well sort of if you know anything about the British weather). For most single christian men (and dare I say some married also), that can only mean one thing. The battle with the flesh is intensified. Girls walking around in their skimpy outfits does not help a brother keep his mind on the Lord. In fact if we are honest, the mind of a man seems to have its own ‘mind’ and just reinforces the depravity of man. As sincere as we are, our minds sometime slip into lustful thoughts and some of us have been trapped by things such as pornagraphy and masturbation or the ‘Master Bait’ as one person put it. We cannot rebuke ‘in the name of Jesus’ the attraction towards the opposite sex as these feeling are God-given. As one person said, you cannot stop the birds from flying over your head but you can stop them making a nest there
So what can you do to help you overcome? Here are some practical steps which I hope will help
- I think the first thing is to fill your mind with the word of God. The mind is where the battle starts and that is what has to be renewed by the washing of the word (Romans 12:2)
- If you have to, keep busy if you find that boredom makes your mind go astray
- Block TV channels. If you have to use a PIN to access certain channels, get a friend to block the channels on your behalf and not reveal the PIN to you. That way, even if you get tempted to ‘just put the PIN in’, you can’t. So in other words. ‘cut off your right hand’ (Matthew 54:30)
- Use accountability software for your computer. X3watch is free accountability software designed to help with online integrity. When you browse the internet and access a site which may contain questionable material, the program will record the site name. A person of your choice (an accountability partner) will receive an email containing all questionable sites you may have visited. This information is meant to encourage open and honest conversation between friends and help you be more accountable to your online adventures
- Avoid places and situations, if you can, that will just feed your lust and know your limits and dont try to justify it. Sin can be so deceiving (Hebrews 3:13)
These are just a few guidelines and are by no means exhaustive but I pray that it will help men, not only in the summer but throughout every season. It truly is a battle.